Monday, 1 March 2010

A MONTH IN THE COUNTRY by Ivan Turgenev

I've done translating before but never a play, most of the work that comes my way is not exactly my cup of tea, I'm thinking of documents like the weapons catalogue or the thesis in microbiology.  It was a terrific surprise when my sister Kathy, (with contacts in the theatre world) got in touch with me about doing a translation of Turgenev's A Month in the Country.  No I haven't learnt Russian, it was from Hungarian into English. The background to the story is that director László Marton has decide to present the piece at Toronto's Soulpepper Theatre, he is regular guest director there and his desire was to use the Hungarian adaptation of the play that he knows and loves.  My job was to translate that adaptation into English as faithfully as I could.  The piece was then passed to the theatre's adapter.  I have to say that I enjoyed the challenge (even with a short deadline)  and am curious to see how the work was molded further into the play to be performed in Toronto this summer (though I probably won't be able to see it there).  If you are in TO this summer have a look and get back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment